We took Maya to a new orthopaedic doctor today. The last one, see the post from March, was a complete jerk, so we finally found a new one. Dr. Antekeier seems pretty knowledgable about SMA kids. He used to measure kids for bracing, so luckily he know the medical and clinical side of things and was very helpful to us. Good things came out of this visit that made my bad day from last week a little better. We had to take xrays of her spine and hips so that he had a baseline. Basically he said that Maya is doing good, but we need to tackle the curve she is getting from her slouching. He sounded much better than the guys last week, but possibly sugar coating it for us. It worked. He is going to see if we can modify her brace so that she can have a soft front and a hard back. Right now it is hard all over. We need to modify it enough so she can still sit and feed herself and play. All very important things. All in all we liked the new guy. We are going to see him again when Maya gets her new wheelchair so we know if she fits it correctly.
p.s. thanks to all of you for your comments and prayers from last week's emotional meltdown. I know we will all get used to it. I guess it was just time for a good cry!
The funnies
11 years ago


3 comments:
I am glad you found a better doctor. No matter whether he was sugar coating or not, it helps to have a professional with experience that is framing things correctly. I felt like those guys from last week even were a bit harsh. I am glad he knows of a way to modify this for you that will still be enough for Maya but allow her independence still.
Hi Sapna...I'm so sorry it's been rough for you...I so know what you are going through. It's hard to focus on the positive--but I'm glad that you guys found a good new guy. And hooray for the loaner! We are getting our loaner tomorrow!!
Hi Sapna...I'm so sorry it's been rough for you...I so know what you are going through. It's hard to focus on the positive--but I'm glad that you guys found a good new guy. And hooray for the loaner! We are getting our loaner tomorrow!!
Post a Comment