I think we mentioned before that we are in the process of getting Maya a power wheelchair. The rep is graciously allowing Maya to test it out for a week before we order it. We are looking at the Koala made by Permobil. There is another one they make buts its much larger and our Maya is just so little yet to be using such a monster.
So they dropped it off last Friday and warned us to be open minded about our furniture and any damage. I figured a few bumps and scratches okay (which is why we haven't bought anything new for the house yet!), but I was not prepared for the destruction it could cause.
The chair moves quite slow in forward mode but so much faster in rear mode. Wow. What can I say. Maya took out two bar stools on the first try. In her playroom, she completely remodeled the place when the bookcase got moved another wall and all the toys and the toy chest got pushed along right with it. A total mess. But luckily nothing toppled over, including the TV. I didn't mean to scream but its just instinct. ""NOOOO!"" I yelled. She was so frightened. She hasn't wanted to get back in the chair really since then. And when she does, she says "mommy push it". I feel so bad. BUT, the rep is coming back to adjust the rear mode speed and we hope she will feel better about testing it out again.
We don't intend on Maya using the power chair in the house, but she has to get used to it some how. Charlie and I are just happy that she still prefers her manual chair right now because that is what she will use in the house anyway. Perhaps we should just let her drive it outside and she can take out our garage door! Ha!
The funnies
11 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment