Sunday, June 13, 2010

Babymoon #2 - London and Munich

Charlie and I took a little vacation last week to London and Munich. Babymoon #1 was in Geneva and Paris, so I guess this technically makes it Babymoon #2. Luckily for KPMG conferences we can make these trips happen! I had been to London and Munich before but Charlie hadn't. London is fun no matter how many times you go and Munich I hardly remember so it was nice to go again.

Daily details of our trip:
June 1st: We started out in London by visiting with family. We stayed with the fam in a suburb of London. It was an overnight flight so Charlie and I had to get a nap in before heading on the trains and subways to London downtown. A few hours there and then back to the house for an Indian feast!

June 2nd: We took an all day tour to Bath, Stonehenge and Windsor Castle. Pretty neat stuff. Charlie was in charge of the camera so there are several pics! Since the sun doesn't go down until about 10 in London we took the chance to do more sightseeing in London, including riding the London Eye. I've been to London 3 times and I finally rode that thing! We headed to a late dinner and back to the abode.


June 3rd: Woke up bright and early at 5 to catch an 8 am flight to Munich. We took the train and subway all the way to the airport! I must saw that only paid for one cab the entire visit and that was because we stayed out so late with friends (see next day). The first thing we did in Munich was visit the first concentration camp there was. It was a sad place to go but a great museum. Unfortunately it rained the entire time. Charlie and I just came from the airport so he had his laptop with him and he and I were sharing this tiny half-a-person umbrella. Humorous to others I'm sure. We tried German food that night. I can say that we are over it. Pizza here I come! Charlie got himself a beer and I even got a non alcoholic one! Its true. People don't drink water there. Its all beer. Which is why the non alcoholic kind is so easy to find everywhere!

June 4: We took a day tour to Salzburg, Austria. Salzburg is known for the birthplace of Mozart. No, Charlie and I are not closet classical music fans, but the city is beautiful and a must see. We visited some the of Sound of Music recording venues, took a nice long lunch (yes, pizza) and then visited a Mozart museum. Maya likes music so we got her a little something Mozart. When we got back to Munich, it was time to meet Lindsey and Matt! Lindsey and I were suitemates at A&M and she was my maid of honor. She's lived overseas since her wedding and now it was our time to finally visit her! We all met up at a beer hall and I think we stayed out until 2 am!! Crazy. Well it is for me considering I'm usually snoozing around 10 these days. Good times catching up!

June 5: Instead of visiting the famous castles in Germany, we decided to skip it (all castles look alike after a while ;-)). We all slept in and then met up with Lindsey for her "walking tour" of Munich. Surprise, surprise. We ended up at two more beer gardens along the way! We walked through the English Gardens, where it was like going to the beach only there was no ocean. People were sunbathing everywhere. It is also known for nude sunbathing...after this we headed to the BWM musueum for a quick look at what it was all about. Cleanest bathrooms in all of Europe I think! Met the crew for dinner at a Mexican restaurant. I said I would never eat Mexican food (maybe Spain?), but it turns out the #1 restaurant in Munich on Trip Advisor is Mexican. It was so good! A great find! Charlie and I had to get to bed early for an early flight, so after a walk-around-the-city search for some gelato, we had to say goodbye to Lindsey and Matt and turn in.

June 6th: Woke up at 5 am for our flight back to London. By the time we got in, went through immigration and got back to downtown London, it was time for lunch. Charlie needed to have his fish and chips experience so we headed to Oxford Street for some people watching and food. So much shopping! We headed to a toy store to get Maya Bean a little gift. The rest of day we literally swung by various landmarks. We didn't go in any, just took buses, got off and took pictures - Buckingham Palance, Westminster Abbey, and London Bridge. By this time I think I was begging Charlie not to walk anymore. This preggo had had enough! I finally got my "afternoon tea" experience and we headed back to East Croydon to have one last evening with the family.

June 7th: I headed home while Charlie went on to Oslo for his conference (barely awake!).

We had a nice little trip although it was exhausting and I needed a vacation when I got back! I was so excited to see Maya. I think she was excited to see me, too, and then realized it was time to go home - then she cried. Charlie came home that Friday. Here are all the pics: London, Munich.

2 comments:

Summer said...

Looks like a great trip! Could those beer mugs be any bigger?

Renee said...

OMGoodness!!!! Amazing trip! What a fun idea! So glad you guys had a great time.