Does anyone feel like this winter has gone on FOREVER?? We moved to the new house mid-October and here we are four months later and still haven’t been in our pool. Gotta love maintaining a pool that you’ve never stepped foot in! So the last 6 weeks haven’t been exactly fun for Maya. Cold outside means Maya stays inside. It’s been a lot of taking turns to leave the house so someone can stay with her at home. We get out to eat and stuff and we’ve had a few outings here and there but we just don’t take her on errands and stuff like we used to. Plus, her therapy and standing schedule almost requires her to be at home all the time! I feel like it’s a treat for us to even have lunch out or if she gets to run errands with Charlie and I on the weekends. Maya also had back to back colds, no fever, but just congestion, runny nose and lots of coughing. We had a couple of weeks there of nebulizer treatments, 3-4 times a day cough assist and chest therapy.
Now that Maya has aquatic therapy, she is in therapy 5 days a week – 3 out of the house and 2 in the house. I take her on Mondays and Fridays when I’m not at the doctor/dentist or work, Tuesday and Wednesday she is in the house, and Thursdays her Gigi takes her. It takes some coordinating to make this happen, especially if I can’t take her on Mon/Fri or Gayla can’t do Thursday. Thanks goodness for family! We wouldn’t be able to manage all this without them!
In early January, I found out I had an infected tooth and needed it extracted, so I spent my days off going to various surgeons for consultations. In 4 months I can officially say I have implants, but it’s not the part of the body everyone would think – it’s in my mouth! Nice. So until then, don’t make me smile too big, because you may notice a nice size hole. Charlie likes to make fun of me daily and teases me about not brushing my teeth when I was younger. I thought this thing would take a day and I’d be all good. Oh no! I was in ridiculous pain for an entire week and for 2 weeks couldn’t eat without chewing on one side. The pain medicine made me worse. Note for the future, I do not do well on Vicodin or Darviset. Stick to plain ole Aleve and Advil.
Mid-January we got our family pictures made again with Laura at Studio Bloom. She is such a great photographer and the pictures are great. I don’t have any to share yet, but will send some out when we get them. Maya is just growing into this beautiful little girl. Her blue eyes stick out more than ever and her hair is just getting so long!
Last but not least, I have been working a ton in January and February. It’s about that time at work that things get crazy. I feel like I haven’t been spending any time with Maya and I hate that. On Mondays and Fridays that I haven’t been to doctors and dentists, I’ve been on the laptop at home. It’s no wonder Maya picks up on things like she does. When you ask her where daddy is, she says “at wurk” Where’s mommy? At wurk. She was playing on her laptop the other day and I asked her what she was doing. She said “working”. If that isn’t a sign of momma working too much on her laptop!
Here’s a recap of some of the funny things this 2 year old is up to:
- Maya is now saying “yeS” to everything. She used to say “yeah”, but not everything is very annunciated. YeSSSSSS…
- In an earlier blog, I mentioned how she used to say “hi” and wave when she got in trouble or was embarrassed/shy. Now, she closes her eyes and moves her face to the side. Its so funny to watch her. We’ll be sitting at dinner and we’ll say, Maya, you need to eat. She’ll either laugh or try to ignore us by closing her eyes and look away. She opens her eyes ever so slowly to see if we are still there. Yep, we’re here and so is your dinner, so eat! Its at this stage that you want to start disciplining, but its hard because everything they do is so darn funny. It doesn’t help when one parent is disciplining while the other is laughing because Maya is laughing or closing her eyes trying to ignore us.
- Maya has gotten very good at identifying and asking for her aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins. Lately, I noticed that she doesn’t ask for Madi, which is weird because she cries every Thursday when she sees her at therapy and can’t stay to play with her. We FINALLY figured it out. She doesn’t call Madi by her name. She calls her “blablablalalaaaa”. We tested this at Superbowl. We pointed to everyone in the room and she correctly named them. When we got to Madi, she said “blablablalalaaaa”.
- Maya is saying “luv u” at night before bedtime. We do have to prompt her by saying “what do you say” but she says it and it melts our heart. It is almost always followed by a kiss!
- Let me preface this next one by saying that we rarely use the word “princess”. We were going to my mom’s house last weekend for a prayer thing and we got her all dressed up in her Indian outfit. On our way to my mom’s house, she pointed to herself and said “I princess”. Alrighty then. I guess this one thinks very highly of herself.
- Maya will hold our camera out in front of her and act like she is taking a picture of herself and says, very loudly, “CHEEEEESSSSSSSSEE”. Of course, when I am taking a picture for real, there is no looking at the camera or saying cheese. I blame it on the age.
- Last but not least, is the crying for her Gigi. I will post this pathetic video soon and please don’t think we are torturing this poor girl. She clearly just misses her grandma and needs a hug. So much so that we had to call her over that night or bust. The only thing that would calm her down was sitting by the door waiting for her Gigi to come…in her wheelchair nonetheless. It was so sad. it has gotten so bad that we try not to mention Gigi’s name unless she will see her in the next hour. And we even try to have Gigi slip out and not say bye, which is very hard for her Gigi, but luckily she only lives two minutes away!
Maya is definitely showing her age lately. I wouldn’t say terrible twos yet, but we are just getting started with some tantrums. At this time, it is still (mostly) funny and not (extremely) frustrating. I hope it stays that way. I really do feel like this is a fun age. We love hearing the new words and how she tries to sing bitsy bitsy, Barney and twinkle. We are seeing her grow before our eyes – literally! She went through a growth spurt and now we are having to round up her cousin’s clothes and more shopping sprees. We sure are ready for Spring….
The funnies
11 years ago


3 comments:
Girl, I know what you mean about the weather and the therapy! Both are non stop.
What a little personality she has. Dakin is really getting into being 2 as well...you're right, it is a fun age.
I am SO ready for spring too! I love reading about everything that Miss Maya is up to! Tantrums are just starting?? They're in full swing over here. Actually I know it could get a lot worse, we're probably just getting started!
I am sorry you are back in the swing of busy season - at least you are that much closer to it being over! Sometimes I feel like Ben probably thinks I work too much the way I compulsively check my email all day long. I am trying to be better about being in the moment.
Up here in Dallas, we sadly only get 3 good months in our pool and it doesn't really start until June. Now my parents in Clear Lake get a lot longer, probably 2 extra months, so hopefully you guys can squeeze out 4 months. I hope you at least get to break in the hot tub soon!
I love reading the Maya updates. So cute about the Luv U! I work on those two words everyday with Ben, but he's still holding out. I just can't wait for them! So cute about her attachment to Gigi - must feel good for you to know she's so well taken care of when with her.
Post a Comment