Saturday, February 7, 2009

Finally! A lazy weekend!


Charlie, Maya, and I FINALLY got to enjoy a lazy weekend. We got to cuddle with Maya in bed, take naps with her and just hang out at the house. We almost NEVER get to do that on the weekends. The highlight of the weekend was when Daddy put Maya's playset together in the backyard. Maya just loves the slide and swing. She can't slide down by herself so Charlie and I would take turns scooting her down. She giggled over and over. She pointed to the swing and away we went. After a few pushes, she was pointing back at the slide. This is a fun game. Oh well, we are just so happy to see how happy she was sliding and swinging. She so deserves this moment! And thanks, Daddy, for putting it together. Maya Bean really loves it!


Maya has decided that the only way she will eat is with her Rocking Horse snowglobe playing music. Its not enough that we put it on her highchair to touch and feel, she actually demands that we put on the music for her before she will allow the spoon to her mouth! She just points and says "this". What a toot - but we have to admit, its so cute!


Saturday night, my mom and I attended the Ms Wheelchair Texas pageant at the Galleria. Angela, our new SMA friend, is the president of the organization and put on this whole thing. There was a contestant who has SMA but she must be Type 3 because she was in a scooter. not a wheelchair, and her upper body seemed fully functional. It was an enlightening experience to hear the stories of all these women. There were 2 Indian women in the contest as well. Both were left paralyzed. One of them is a doctor! The woman that won was born without any arms or legs. Her story is amazing and she really gets around well. Well deserved award. That evening, we sat with Amy and her daughter, Sydney. I have to say it was hard to see Sydney. Even though Syd is a weaker Type 2, it was hard to envision Maya in this position at 6 years old. She couldn't hold her drink or her fork. I didn't know how to help. I felt worthless sitting next to her. It made me realize that I had no idea how to act around people in wheelchairs - how do I help them without offending them?? I know it will come with time, but I was actually pretty stressed about the whole thing. Sydney is such a beautiful little girl though. She was Little Miss Tx Wheelchair last year and had to pass her title to a new little girl tonight. She was upset that she had to give it up but still a good sport. I am glad to have met both of them. They are a really nice family.



On Sunday Charlie and I let Maya spend the evening with her Grandma and Papaw while we went out for early Valentines. Charlie and I just hit up PF Changs which we've been trying to go to for like 2 weeks. We went and saw Slumdog Millionaire afterwards. Pretty good movie actually. Its no wonder it was nominated for so many Oscars!

No comments: