I have waited a long time to be able to say this about one of my children. Kaden took TWO independent steps today!! Kaden was playing with his new riding toy and watching some DVD. He was holding on to the lazyboy and wanted to go to his toy. He took two steps to the handle of the toy. Then he stood there a bit and then fell down. He didn't do it again the rest of the day, but now I know what it feels like to watch it happen. I am SO happy I was able to be there when he did it. Go Kaden!!
As a sidenote. With all the happiness and wanting to celebrate, there is always that part of Charlie and I that want to watch what we say around Maya. I didn't jump up and down and get all excited in front of her because you don't want her to think I'm not proud of her. We knew this time would be hard for her - to watch her brother and younger cousins start walking and running and climbing on things. She was the youngest on this side of the fam until last year. She's been "trying" to crawl lately and she will put her hands on the floor and move her head in a go-forward motion and then tell me she is going to crawl one day. It just breaks my heart. All I tell her is that we hope she does one day and that we will do everything we can to help her try to get strong enough. I don't remember if I posted about some of her conversations, but she prays about being able to walk. She asks me, "You know Mommy, I pray to Jesus that I am going to walk one day, you know that Mommy?" Another heartbreaking conversation that we seem to have almost two to three times a week now. I just have to tell her that we will continue to pray that she will get really strong and be able to one day, BUT that if she can't its okay and we all love her so much and how cool her powerchair is and all sorts of other wonderful ways she can be happy. So we find a happy medium to keeping the faith/hope but also letting her now that if it doesn't happen, we will take care of her and keep her happy just the same. Its that fine line between religion and science and she is just too young to get it. Heck, I am still struggling myself!
I know that everyone reading this must think, wow, that was a happy start and a depressing end to a blog post. Well, just a taste of what our days have been like lately. Its been a tough six months watching Kaden move around and have Maya asking questions. Its emotionally draining. The excitement over him and the sadness over her. But on a lighter note, Christmas is coming up soon and we have some very special toys planned. One may be delivered this weekend and configured just for Maya to be able to use!! I am expecting some big smiles from that blue-eyed sweetie!
The funnies
11 years ago


2 comments:
I can only imagine the mix of emotions. It sounds like you guys are handling it all in the best way possible. I'm continually amazed and inspired by you! Way to go Kaden!
I know exactly how you feel. We do the same thing with our kids. We get excited when Ella does something new, but try not to make too big of a deal about it. Nicholas, however, doesn't seem to care at all about walking or getting around. He is so laid-back I honestly don't know if he cares much, although I do see those wheels turning and I know that he realizes that he is different from his sister. We do the same things you mentioned: praise them each for the things they do and tell them how much we love them. We try to spend an equal amount of time with each child. Parenting is a balancing act already, but with one disabled child, it adds a whole new spin on things. Blessings to you, Sapna!
Post a Comment