Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Kaden's delivery

The story of Kaden's labor and delivery -
I was 41 weeks pregnant with Kaden and had to be medically induced on November 22nd. My parents came to the house the night before to stay with Maya and take her to therapy and so we could leave bright and early at 5 am! By 7 we were getting settled in our room. Dr Ritter came in at 8 to see if I was dilated anymore. Still a 1. He tried breaking my water which was probably the worst pain I could remember being in. Charlie almost passed out since I was screaming. Fun stuff. That didn't work so Dr Ritter said he would start my pitocin and get the contractions started. I think he finally broke my water about an hour later. I got the epidural around 10 and my contractions were getting stronger. By 11, I had only progressed to a 2. Dr Ritter thought I would have the baby by noon but I had to change his plans a bit. Naturally the epidural wore off on a part of my body like it did with Maya. They came and came me more and it helped a little bit. The next few hours were not fun. I was in some pain even with the epidural. Had to ask the family to leave. No one wants to have people reading a magazine and having a Sonic drink in your labor room while you are screaming with misery in pain, you know? I invited people back in as the pain went away. Kaden's heart beat was getting pretty low at times so the nurses were in there making me move all over the place to get it back up. At one point there was a little scare because Kaden was sunny side up. Again the nurses were just making me move around and I think they may have even turned him around but I don't remember. By 2:45, I had progessed very well. I think I went from a 5 to a 9 in about 20 minutes. Dr Ritter made it there on time this time (he was running a tad late and got a standing ovation for his arrival for my labor with Maya!).  I think it was about 5 pushes and out came Kaden at 3:28 pm. I would say that this labor was worse than my labor with Maya but the delivery was much better than with Maya. It was all about the pain. I felt all of the delivery with Maya, but with Kaden I was so numb during the delivery part that I was able to enjoy holding him this time around!

The looks: Kaden did beautiful and only cried a little bit. As he was in the incubator where they clean him all up, Charlie and I were just joking that he didn't look like any of us! We were like "whose baby is that?" Ha! But now it is clear...he is Maya!

The name - We had a bit of trouble naming him like we did with Maya. Kind of like a "oh crap what are we going to call him" kind of a decision. With Maya we made everyone wait outside while I fed her and we argued about the name. With Kaden, we invited the ladies in while I nursed and then ran the name by the fam before we made it official. I think it still took Charlie and I about a week to be settled with the name! Neal was always going to be his middle name. The spelling of Kaden was my thing. Charlie gave in to spelling it with a K not a C on the way to the hospital that morning. Woohoo. I win.

Big Sis - All I wanted was Maya to be the first person in the room after we had Kaden. And she was! Charlie and I were so excited to have her there to meet her new baby brother. She was long past due on her nap so we didn't get much out of her, but she did give him tons of kisses. She was just scared about seeing me in a hospital gown and with an IV! The next day after she was all rested, she held him and hugged and kissed on him. She was very excited to have the new addition to the family.

Even with all the pain, I am so thankful for a relatively smooth delivery. I was so nervous about having a c-section. So glad that I could have him naturally and him be healthy!

Charlie and I were thankful to have all our family be there and several friends were able to visit too. Here are some pictures of our special visitors while we were in the hospital. All of the hospital and going home pictures are here.

the babies of 2010...Kaden and the three girls!
Lauren changed his first diaper...
                             Ben had some hugs for big sis Maya

No comments: