Monday, January 4, 2010

There she goes!

Most parents of toddlers probably get irritated by their child running away from the dinner table, but tonight for Charlie and I, it brought a smile to our faces. Tonight we were eating dinner and Maya was sitting in her wheelchair. She just got it about 2 ½ weeks ago, so we are still figuring out her “sitting” schedule with her “standing” schedule. Anyway, she sat in her chair this evening and we had her wheeled up to my TV tray (yes, we are terrible about eating in front of the TV!). Well, naturally she didn’t like what I cooked, so I got up to make her something else. While she was waiting and Charlie was eating, she decided she was done with us and headed out of the living room and into the playroom. If any of you have seen her in the chair, you would realize how unbelievable this is. She wheeled herself all the way there and all the way back. It was so neat. I didn’t know she was leaving the den, but Charlie was laughing and I didn’t know why. He was like, well I guess this is how she “runs” away from us when she doesn’t want to eat. We may need to put her in her high chair for mealtimes again afterall!  I am so proud of her. She is starting to realize this is how she walks and can get around. She is getting quicker and quicker in the chair everyday and she is turning really well in it, too. I just can’t believe how a 2 year old can do this…we are very proud.

5 comments:

Summer said...

That is awesome! She must be so strong to wheel all the way around there by herself! This is great news, although in a week or so I'm sure you'll be sick of her running away. We still keep K in her chair for that exact reason. She'd never eat anything if we let her have free roam!

Unknown said...

Awww Sapna!! That is too cool.
I totally get it! I can't wait for Ava to be able to "run" away from me.
That is just awesome :)

Sarah said...

You should be proud, that's awesome!

KC said...

I am so proud for you! I bet that you are! That's so neat - I am so glad that she's learning so quickly about all her freedom and that you are seeing the benefits too. Way to go Maya! I hope to see her in action soon, but maybe we can get a video up soon to?

Jessica said...

That's so fantastic! Way to go, Maya! I bet you were grinning like crazy all night!